Modern nursing is a dynamic, therapeutic and educative process in meeting the health needs of the individuals, the family and the community. Nursing is one of the health professions which function in conjunction with other health care agencies in assisting individuals, families and communities to achieve and maintain desirable standards of health.
The Woodland Institute of Nursing believes in the concepts of health laid down by the World Health Organization (WHO) i.e.” Health is state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely the absence of the disease or infirmity.
Since nurses provided and will and will undoubtedly continue to provide a large part of health care, their training should be equip them professional expertise to meet the chaining demands of society and their expanding role therein. To achieve this, emphasis must be laid to impart the knowledge and skill most relevant to the health care needs of the community and the country as a whole. This must also be accompanied by a corresponding change in professional attitudes. Indian Nursing Council of Nurses recognized that basic Nursing Education is a formally recognized programmed of study providing a board and sound foundation in the behavioral, life and Nursing science for the general practice of Nursing, for leadership role and for the Post basic Education in specialties for advanced nursing practice. The Council believes that this basic course in nursing should prepare nurse for occupying first level position in nursing in all kind of health care settings. The council recognizes that Nursing is a profession which is influenced by advances in science and Technology. It believes that skills in all aspect of communication are also essential for learning and for the practice of nursing.
The Institute also recognized that nature of nursing is such that a substantial portion of learning of the students is acquired in the clinical fields of practice. It further recognizes the independence of or nursing and allied professions and occupations in promoting, maintaining and restoring health and prevention of diseases.
The Institute believes that it has a responsibility in helping the students to develop pride in their profession besides keeping them abreast with current knowledge and professional trends for a successful career ahead.
The aims of the Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery programmed are:
- To prepare nurses with a sound educational programmed in nursing to enable them to function as efficient members of the health team, beginning with the Competencies for first level positions in all kinds of the health care settings.
- To help nurses develop an ability to cooperate and coordinate with members of the health team in the prevention of disease, promotion of health and rehabilitation of the sickness.
- To help nurses in their personal and professional development, so that they are able to make maximum contribution to the society as useful and productive individuals, citizens as well efficient nurses
- To serve as a base for further professional education and specialization in nursing.
- To prepare nurses to keep pace with latest professional and technological developments and use these for providing nurses services.
The nurses on the completion of this course will be to:
- Demonstrate competency in providing health care to individual, sick or well using nursing process.
- Asses the nursing need of clients from birth to death
- Plan and carry out appropriate action to meet nursing needs.
- Provide effective nursing care for maintaining best possible level of health in all aspects.
- Promote self care in people under their care
- Apply problem solving techniques in nursing practice.
- Evaluate effectiveness of nursing care.
- Apply knowledge from the humanities, biological & behavioral sciences in functioning as a nurse.
- Function effectively with members of the health team and community applying the knowledge of human relations skills in her work.
- Participates member of health team in delivery of curative preventive, promotive rehabilitative health care services.
- Mobiles community resources and their involvement in working with the communities.
- Demonstrate use of ethical values in their personal and professional life.
- Demonstrate interest in activities of professional organizations
- Recognized the need for continuing education for professional development.
- Demonstrate basic skills in teaching patients and giving nursing care to them
- Demonstrate basic skills in administration and leadership while working with other members of health team and community.
- Assist in research activities.
The school offers the course of General Nursing and Midwifery (G.N.M) for 3(three) year. Limited seats of 30 thirty students will be admitted annually in the month of September every year.
Eligibility For Admission:
- Age -17 to 35 year
- Sex- Female preferably unmarried/ widow/divorce without encumbrance will also be considered.
- Education Qualification: 10+2 Science/Arts/Commerce with 40% aggregate.